Re: filmscanners: Scanning and memory limits in Windows

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurie Solomon" <laurie@advancenet.net>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 9:25 PM
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Scanning and memory limits in Windows

> >This is probably because you are usually using a process that is grabbing
> >sufficient memory to prevent the file cache getting big enough to block
> >every other process.
>
> You could be right.
>
> >File servers are the most likely machines to be afflicted with this
> problem.
>
> But wouldn't file servers be using Windows NT or 2000 rather than Windows
98
> as their operating system?  If so this appears to run counter to Rob's
> comments: "In fact the bug applies to all versions of Windows other than
> those in the NT class (NT 4.0 and Win2K)...."

Should have clarified this as the few PC file servers that run on Win 9x
(usually small business) most normal setups use NT/2000 or Unix.

Any setup that scans lots of file data without any active program occupying
a large area of memory is likely to run into this problem on Win 9x/me.

Steve

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.