RE: filmscanners: Re: autolevels was re: filmscanners: Vuescan blue anomaly

A specular reflection/bright light can easily represent 40% of the range of
values in an image.  When you look at the histogram, you will see a thin
line between the edge of the "mountain" and 255.  This happens, for example,
when you have lots of very bright reflections, e.g. off water.  Or a scene
with lots of lightbulbs, but which is, overall, quite dark.

As you bring down the white point, all of these bright points will seem to
"grow" in size.  It's a trade off you make, so that the rest of the picture
doesn't look too dark or too washed out.

An f-shaped curve (in Curves) that is tight at the top may be preferable to
bringing down the white point in Levels.  You have to choose.

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.