filmscanners: Re: Vuescan gripes

At 3:45 PM -0700 7/19/01, Shough, Dean wrote:
>I used to complain about the VueScan interface but thought it had gotten
>much better recently.  Maybe I have just gotten used to VueScan and tend to
>avoid its quirks.

        I'm inclined to agree with Dean - I seem to be able to avoid
most of VueScan's quirks, and admittedly there are more on the Mac
than on the PC. Ed has explained any of them that I have asked him
about, and he continues to improve things.
        I use auto-crop with a 2% border to make sure I include all
the slide, and do my final cropping in Photoshop
        Like Dean I just let the cropooox.tif images accumulate in
the VueScan window. When I'm finished scanning I drag the VueScan
files onto the Photoshop 6 icon to open them, then do fine-tuning and
resizing as necessary and re-name them as .psd files. Most of the
time VueScan gets so close there is little need for fine-tuning. That
alone makes it worth all the quirks.
        Doubtless my methods aren't as efficient as some people's.
That is an important factor for anyone with a lot of scanning to do,
so I can see that having some of the VueScan "features" not work
properly could be annoying.
        I always have the preview box at full-screen size, which is a
pleasant change from the postage stamp size previews most brands of
scanner software give you.

        One of the neatest things about VueScan is how easy it makes
setting up a new scanner. I recently switched from a Canon FS2710 to
a Minolta Scan Dual II. I installed the Minolta software and had a
quick look at it. I then opened VueScan, used the same settings I had
been using on the Canon for a year and immediately started getting
excellent scans from the new Minolta without the need for learning a
new interface. The Minolta software is still there for the occasional
slide or negative that just won't work with VueScan.

Regards,
Roger Smith

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.