filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: image samples of digital artifacts

Dan wrote:
>One thing I've always been curious about is what causes the topographical
>map type of lines you see in the blue sky portion of this image:
>http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~taiji/gallery/t21.htm
>I see this sort of artifact a lot in jpegs on the web.  Is this what is
>called "jaggies?"  Do they show up in prints?

You need more colours.  This looks fine in 24bit on my work computer.  You
may be running less than 24bit colour.  Depending on the OS some video drivers
don't display a full palette of 24bit colour even though the driver claims
to be set to it.

So no, it's not jaggies exactly - it's your video card dithering the colours
down to what fits in your palette.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com