Re: filmscanners: On A More Positive Note

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, tflash wrote:

> on 7/18/01 11:11 PM, rafeb wrote:
>
> > I've posted a few small scans from my 8000 ED at:
> >
> > http://www.channel1.com/users/rafeb/scanner_test4.htm
>
> Rafe,
>
> I looked at your scans in PS, and they are impressive, but one thing I saw
> raises a somewhat generic question for me.
>
> The blue channel of the pad lock image shows what appears to be jpeg
> artifacts, but none of the other channels do. I know the blue channel is
> typically the noisiest channel of a scan, but I forget why. Isn't it because
> the CCD elements are least sensitive to blue light? If so that is a hardware
> thing. But jpeg is a software thing, so why would it also show up
> predominantly in the blue channel? Is that typical of jpegs, or was it just
> a fluke or coincidence here?

I haven't looked at that scan channel-by-channel.

It's not a perfect scan, by any means, but was
meant to show what comes out of this scanner
with zero effort.

If you'd like a higher-res scan of any part of
this image, I'd be happy to email it to you.
I used fairly severe JPG compression, thinking
initially I'd post these images to the list.
I changed my mind and decided to put them up
on the web site instead.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.