Re: filmscanners: Printing: Settings, calibration & whatever

Hi Norman,

I feel you pain ;-)

We may wish to carry on this discussion with me via private mail so we
don't get too OT for the scanner list.

I'll do this part on the list simply in case some people want to chime
in with further observations:

Here are my questions:

1) Which printer are you using, and what inks do you use?

2) Are you sending the images to the printer in CMYK or RGB format?

3) What printing settings are you using for the specific papers you use?

4) Have you attempted to adjust any of the printer driver settings or do
you use them at default settings?

5) Under what lighting conditions do you view your monitor and your prints?

The blue purple spectrum with Epson printers is always tricky, and a
custom profile might be the only answer (I have not done so myself, and
the blues are never quite as I'd like them)

Don't assume the new printers are the answer, I get nice snappy prints
using a 720 dpi Epson (Pro and Pro XL)

The image on the monitor is a "back-lighted" image.  You can never
reproduce it on a piece of paper (until that light emitting polymer
stuff comes out ;-))

Art

Norman Unsworth wrote:

> I've gotten a lot of very helpful information here that has allowed me to
> develop the quality of both my scans (mostly using Vuescan on my Minolta
> Scan Dual II) and the editing / adjusting of those scans in Photoshop 6. The
> biggest problem I have is getting something to come out of my printer that
> even vaguely resembles what I see on screen. I've calibrated my monitor
> using the Adobe utility but get prints that are consistently, sometimes
> significantly flat, especially in the blue range, but generally overall.
> Admittedly, I have an older, 1440 dpi Epson and lust for a new 1270 but I
> know I must be missing something.
>
> I've been using the Adobe RGB colorspace both from Vuescan and in
> Photoshop - I don't pretend to know what is 'best' here' since I'm perfectly
> satisfied with what I'm producing on screen and for the web. I've printed on
> both Kodak and Epson high gloss, photo quality paper with the  corresponding
> paper / print quality settings in my printer software.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions / recommendations for getting print results
> that more closely resemble what I see on the monitor.
>
> Norman Unsworth

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.