Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Infrared dust removal accuracy

Rob's right, of course; since IR won't pass through silver halides, it won't
have much reference for repairing a BW neg. OTOH, it seems like it would
create a perfect "mask" if the neg were scratched, because the IR *would*
pass through the scratches. It could then be offset slightly to pick up the
values to one side of the scratches, or from a blurred copy of the picture.

I don't know if anybody's tried this, but it seems doable, at least as a
theory. If IR reacts the same way to a fine line of detail as it would to a
scratch, however, it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. :-)

Best regards--LRA