Re: filmscanners: Scanning 101...A basic question...

----- Original Message -----
From: Arthur Entlich <artistic@ampsc.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Scanning 101...A basic question...

> Marvin Demuth wrote:
>
> > I have read the recent debates over working with raw files and those
> > produced via profiles and I am confused.
> >
> > In working with scanning color negatives, if you choose to work with the
> > raw file that is supposed to have all the information in pure form, what
> > is your starting point for getting an acceptable image on your monitor
> > as your starting point for your adjustments?  Obviously, some software
> > has to used.
> >
> > I am trying to relate this to printing color negatives, which is within
> > my experience.  With this process, for any degree of efficiency, you
> > have to start with color filtration commensurate with the film you are
> > using.
> >
> > Marvin Demuth
>
> I think Marvin makes an obvious but very significant point here.
>
> A raw scan of a negative, should be negative, not positive.  Any manner
> of converting it into a positive means some type of profile has been
> actuated on it.
>
> Art

In performing the scan, of negatives, to produce the "raw scan" aren't
scanners/software varying the color channel exposure to remove the negative
mask? Even if this exposure variation is based on some sort of measurement
of the film done by the scanner, it represents profiling in the general
sense.

Bob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.