Re: filmscanners: Scanning 101...A basic question...

Marvin Demuth wrote:

> I have read the recent debates over working with raw files and those
> produced via profiles and I am confused.
>
> In working with scanning color negatives, if you choose to work with the
> raw file that is supposed to have all the information in pure form, what
> is your starting point for getting an acceptable image on your monitor
> as your starting point for your adjustments?  Obviously, some software
> has to used.
>
> I am trying to relate this to printing color negatives, which is within
> my experience.  With this process, for any degree of efficiency, you
> have to start with color filtration commensurate with the film you are
> using.
>
> Marvin Demuth

I think Marvin makes an obvious but very significant point here.

A raw scan of a negative, should be negative, not positive.  Any manner
of converting it into a positive means some type of profile has been
actuated on it.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.