Re: filmscanners: VueScan and Occam's Razor

In <5.1.0.14.2.20010607100712.0263cb90@mail.polobeam.net>, Marvin Demuth
wrote:

> While waiting for my RA4 chemicals to come up to 35 degrees C, I had time
> to look up Ockham on the web. You live in an interesting area.
>
> I also had time to refresh my memory of my first introduction to Occam's
> Razor."  John Bogel, the founder of the fabulous Vanguard Mutual Funds
> Group, devotes a chapter in his most recent book (Common Sense on Mutual
> Funds) to its application to returns on investments.  He paraphrases Sir
> William's insight with the phrase "that the simpler the explanation, the
> more likely it is to be correct."
>
> We all have so much to learn in mastering our skills in analysis and
> communication.

I liked the remark I saw some years ago in a article about UFO freaks,
conspiracy theorists, etc., that "they would use Occam's razor to cut your
throat"! ;-)

Brian Rumary, England

http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.