Re: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: New Nikon performance

> Derek Clarke wrote:
> >
> > isaac@visi.net (Isaac Crawford) wrote:

> > >       Hmmm... was the scanner *adding* the dust and scratches? I
would
> > rather
> > > have a scanner that gets as much info off of the film as
possible, and
> > > if there are dust and scratches on the film, they should be
resolved...
> > > I'm funny that way...;-)
> > >

> > > Isaac
> >
> > In a sense you could say that the Nikon scanners do add dust and
> > scratches! To be exact any dust and scratches that are there are
> > emphasised because of the LED light source that they use.
>
> I guess my take is that the "adding" of dust is just a corollary to
> having a really sharp scan... It's hardly the scanner's fault that
there
> is dust or damage to the film...
>
> Isaac

Yes, I agree in principle, but sharpness gains have to be weighed
against other performance factors.  How much sharper in real terms is
the Nikon 8000 vs the Polaroid 120, if at all?  And how much
difference is there in the ability to scan Kodachrome and B&W without
artifacting and time spent retouching?

This is the issue I'm trying to get a handle on.  And while it
certainly isn't the scanner's "fault" if there is dust on film, there
is an entire range of performance differences in how film is rendered
depending on the quality of the light source.  Point source light can
give a "crunchy" quality to the tonal structure some would not want.
Some prefer the extra "punch" of this light.  But all of these tonal
and sharpness issues are ultimately splitting hairs with these new
scanners as far as I'm concerned.  I'm quite sure they are all capable
of incredible results when used with skill.  What I really want to
know is how the new Nikons perform with Kodachrome and B&W!

There, I've said it!  (For the last time, I promise:)

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.