RE: filmscanners: Large collection - full frame projection via DLP & PowerPoint

Hi, Marvin--

I think that Ira's idea of the digital camera (instead of a
one-size-fits-all film-scanner, which isn't really available) is a very good
idea. I'd thought of it myself, but 18-months ago it wasn't a workable
option. Possibly now it is.

Vis-a-vis a "copy-board," you only need to be sure all your (reflector-type)
lights are at a perfect 45-degree angle to the copy to avoid bad
reflections. Vis-a-vis shooting negs and trannies, that the light is greatly
disipated with no spill (a good milk-glass or fine-sanded glass filter over
your light source, given a bit of distance and some black velvet, will do
that).

Seems to me that you could also photograph slides rear-projected on a
fine-cheesecloth "scrim" using a remote slide-changer. Old movies used to be
done that way (now they project from projector to recorder, which is a whole
'nother matter).

It sounds like a very interesting (and fun) project. I'm grateful that in my
own project, I didn't have the med-format negs and trans to cope with!
Saving to 800x600ppi also gives you a better "target," although it will
raise questions of its own. By all means, look at Larry Berman's pages (op
cit). If you don't have a storage problem, JPEG at nearly the max--it saves
on decision time! :-)

Like the man said, "Wish I had that setup when I started!" :-)

Good luck & Best regards--LRA