RE: filmscanners: OT: photographing on the street

Art,
  I am a part time photojournalist.  I hope my comments below encourages
others to follow your lead.

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> My secrets for street photography without getting killed include some
> fast slight of hand on occasion (looking like you are photographing
> somewhere or something else). But more often its just a really big smile
> that disarms people and makes me appear less sinister.

Once I tell people I'm shooting for the paper, all suspicions fade away.
Once people see that there is a reason you're taking their photo that is
legitimate, they are delighted.  I was shy at first, but after a few dozen
positive results, now I don't think twice about snapping away.

> If I think I've gotten a really valuable image, I try for a model
> release.  Most people are amazingly easy about this (in Canada, at
> least) if you offer them some copies of the images, especially if their
> kids are in them!

In my case, the thought of having their picture in the paper doesn't hurt.
Further, I don't need a model release for such publication.  Now, if it were
for art's sake or for profit--that'd be a different story.  Then, go ahead
and get the release.  It's also then, that I'd expect a little more
resistance, though most folks still won't mind.

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.