Re: filmscanners: Scanning large format without a bank loan

I live in Salt Lake City, which has fairly sizeable contingent of extremely
picky photogs... especially the large format landscape shooters... My local pro
shop, Pictureline, which takes on the air of catering to the trade, has started
to push the Epson 1640, which it seems a fair number of their picky clients are
snapping up like hotcakes.. I will probably be the next one to buy (I am still
trying to decide if I should spend the $1200 on a Linocolor flatbed so I can get
4 4x5 negs on one scan)
Pictureline has an 8x10 print of a Utah rock canyon, with lots of exquisite
shades of red and blue casts, etc... it was scanned from the Epson... These guys
usually don't recommend anything they would not use themselves...just a FYI
FWIW...

Mike M.

Jim Yount wrote:

> Some time ago, at the request of several on this list, I published some VERY
> informal tests of the Epson Perfection 1640 at http://www.lauby.com/scanner
>
> The images include one photo (church picture) that Jerry was kind enough to
> print Piezo, with results that amazed us both.  Since most of my images are
> 6x7, the flatbed will work for me, at least until more complete tests are in
> on the Nikon and Polaroid medium format film scanners.
>
> I haven't tried Ed's software on this machine yet (work is interfering with
> my photo passions!) but plan to do so, since I haven't been able to get good
> results with black and white.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jim

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.