Re: filmscanners: Scanning large format without a bank loan

On the low end of the price scale (about $120) I'll put in a plug for the
Acer 1240UT flatbed. I'm using it to scan 6x9 color negatives at 1200dpi
(optical) with pretty good results. The supplied software supports a wide
range of negative types, and will also deliver the 14 bits/pixel that the
scanner reads. I do occasionally run into problems with tramline streaks,
but nothing I haven't been able to overcome by repositioning the negative or
changing the scan settings slightly. For 4x5 I think it would be quite
acceptable. I haven't done transparencies, though, so the density
considerations may be quite different there. The maximum transmissive scan
area is about 5x7.

Thorn Roby      troby@cavion.com
cavion.com, 6446 South Kenton St. Englewood, CO 80111     (720) 875-1949

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.