Re: aliasing was Re: filmscanners: Review of the Nikon CoolScan 4000

Rob wrote:

> The detail in the skies tend to "blow out" in Nikonscan with the
LS30 since
> it only works with 8 bit data - this has the side effect of reducing
apparent
> grain in the sky.  Unfortunately Nikonscan is useless for me since I
get
> jaggies with it, so I have to use Vuescan.  I may be able to
"improve" things
> a little by deliberately adjusting the white point, but I don't want
> lose too much sky detail.

The trick with the LS-30 is to hardware calibrate your monitor
(PhotoCal/Monitor Spyder is great, and not too expensive), set up
color management in NikonScan using the supplied scanner profile, and
use the excellent NikonScan curves dialogue to tone/color correct
before scanning.  You'll be outputting 24 bit files to PS, but the
corrections are applied in hi bit space.  Then, if need be, apply
tweaks with an adjustment layer before printing.

Nikonscan's CM works as well as possible, with a near perfect match to
the result in Photoshop.  Also Nikonscan does the best color
corrections out of the box of anything I've seen, on chromes and negs.
And, as I noted previously, the sharpening algorithm it uses is very
good.

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.