Re: filmscanners: Color Calibration

Tony Sleep wrote:

> Incidentally, glass filters seem to be extremely variable between makes, no
>two
> manufacturers make an 81a which is anything like anyone else's. Warm-balanced
> film like E100SW seems to work better than 81 series do, unless it's very
>blue
> light.
>
> It's a major reason why I like colour neg:)

I'm pleased that most of my photography falls into the "what looks good"
range, rather than doing product or fashion work which often requires
absolute accuracy.  I couldn't agree more about the apparent lack of any
standardization on the 81 series filters, of several other series for
that matter, and polarizers, well, just forget it...  I have numerous
series filters in different diameters that one could not guess the
number by looking at them next to one another.  Even "skylight" 1A
filters can't seem to be in agreement.

I still prefer the transparency approach, for reasons often discussed on
this and other lists, and digital correction makes it less of an issue.
  I like knowing where I'm starting without doing conversions.

Anyway, I'm just glad no one has yet top tell me the trees are the
"wrong color" on my prints!  (I won't even get into the blue and purple
flowers thing) ;-)

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.