From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Richard N. Moyer
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 10:09 AM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Neg film for scanning

You are talking about Eastman 4247, 5248:
Not aware that 3M used Eastman 5347, 5248 - both ISO 100 tungsten
balanced movie films, which is CN processed (I think). 3M had their
own manufacture. But Seattle Film works does process 5247/48, as well
as a number of labs throughout the country - not necessarily movie
film labs, including Dale, in Florida. Still do. At one time these
labs bought tail-ends, spooled it, and sold it - or almost gave it
away. But, as far as I know it was *always* referred to as Eastman
424X. It does have a protective backing which needs to be stripped
via processing, and no minilabs can handle it. You got back slides
(by contact duping - which was the movie film if used as such),
negatives (much heavier filmbase than store bought film - 6 or 10
mils, I think), and pictures. You can also get PictureCD scans, which
are PhotoCD format, cost about $7 extra per 36 roll, and give you
16-bit RGB and LAB image files.

Neighborhood chemical film labs do have trouble with E524X because
they don't have custom settings for prints, and because E524X was
produced in lots, and then qualified by lot number by the movie
studios. So, if varied slightly, defeating picture making machines
which operated on fixed profiles. Plus the backing issue.

You bought virgin 400 foot (refrigerated) rolls directly from Eastman
(Not Kodak - - Eastman is exclusively film industry oriented, and
separate from Kodak operations). And custom spooled, keeping rolls
and spools refrigerated (or frozen) similar to and consistent with
handling of professional films. It has outstanding archievability.

The (scanning) profiling for 5247 (if you do scanning yourself) is
absolutely neutral in my experience, meaning very little needs to be
done via scanning, or within Photoshop to get outstanding prints from
Eastman 524X film.

Both films are not manufactured anymore, so filmlabs have gone
offshore for their house film. I use a lot of it, and have a lot of
reels frozen (30F) for future use.

IMO, compared to the Portra VC/NC (400) films, and even compared to
Fuji NPH 400 professional, Fuji NHG II 800, these Eastman (524X)
movie films give outstanding results - because they were/are
unsurpassed IMO on skintone fidelity (closeups of actresses faces on
movie sets drove the design of the film); skintones that nearly
eliminated the contrast "fall-ofF" so common with today's "punch"
"bounce" films. Contrast is what amplifies facial wrinkles, "crows
feet", etc. 534X is what I call extremely low contrast combined with
excellent film light latitude.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.