filmscanners: VueScan, Insight, Epson (David H.) take note)

It appears most folks on this list use Vuescan but for me it was a waste of
money. I found it awkward to use and slow. I am using Insight 5.0 with SS4k
and really like it. Fast preview scans, previews of all images in the
holder, real time updates of any image adjustments, (which are good on final
scan to PS 6.01), a histogram, choice of color space, able to scan at
resolution and size of my choice (VueScan has limited options for scan
resolutions, I only need 72 dpi if I'm scanning for the web, not 500). Also
of interest (to me anyway) was the quality of scans I got from my new 1640SU
using the simplistic push -button SW. The scans from the Epson twain are
very good with almost perfect match into PS. Initially I used the USB port
for the 1640 and scanned an 8x10 at 300 a number of times: the time into PS
averaged 47 seconds, I then hooked-up to the scsci card and times now
averaged 25 seconds. That surprised me, didn't think there was that much
difference. I now have the SS4K, the 1640, an Expression 636 (now used for
contact sheets) and a Zip on the scsi line, no problems at all. Whew. I have
Silverfast 5 for the old Epson and the SS4K but don't use it. BTW, VueScan
doesn't work with the 1640 on scsi, all I get is a thin line across the
preview window (fast scan though, about 1/2 sec.).
Regards to all, Bud
PS. Probably should have taken the time to learn the ins and outs of Vuescan
but, well, you know how it is.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.