RE: filmscanners: Grain removal and aliasing

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:24:56 +1030  Mark Thomas (markthom@camtech.net.au)
wrote:

>  It may be a pipe-dream, but I figure that as *I* can easily
> recognise and describe the difference between grain-aliasing and real image
> information, there should be a way for a programming technique or plug-in
> to do likewise.

You'll find it easier to (a)change the film, or (b)get a higher resolution
scanner. Grain aliasing seems to be a particular problem of ~2700ppi scanners,
because of the proximity of pel size to grain size. I've never seen much of it
at all from the Polaroid 4000. It will be interesting to see if the new LS4000
also escapes the problem. It should, but maybe LED lightsource and possibly
sharper optics may cancel some of the advantage.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons