RE: filmscanners: Grain removal and aliasing

At 04:00 PM 21/03/01 -0600, you wrote:
>>I am surprised that some of the quotes I included from the ROC patent did
>>not generate more response.
>
>Yeah, I was surprised my message didn't generate more response either. :-)

Don't be too offended - I'm sure that some folk are like me and just read
these messages, visit the links, appreciate the effort, and agree with the
sentiments!  I don't send 'I agree' messages, unless there is a need to add
support (and I've already done that regarding the separation of grain
removal in Vuescan).

My main area of concern (like Lynn Allen) is in the related area of
grain-aliasing problems.  I think most 2720 dpi users will have encountered
problematic negatives (OK Lynn - and *slides* as well!) where the aliasing
effect becomes horribly obvious.  Whereas blurring techniques and GEM-type
software may help with 'normal' grain, I haven't yet found anything that
helps much with aliasing.  For those blissfully unaware, the sort of effect
I am talking about is seen as VERY large grain-like structures, often with
rainbow colors, and usually but not always in the 'thin' areas of
negatives.  I can post (on the web, not to the list) some really awful
samples if anyone wants them.

While I have seen a number of discussions about techniques to help, they
are almost always labour-intensive.  But I am looking for a simple
solution.  It may be a pipe-dream, but I figure that as *I* can easily
recognise and describe the difference between grain-aliasing and real image
information, there should be a way for a programming technique or plug-in
to do likewise.

I'll just keep wishing...

While on the topic of links, here's a couple regarding film specifications
that I have found interesting.  If anyone knows of similar sites, I'd like
to hear about them..

http://creekin.net/films.htm
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/filmsort.html
http://www.mpgn.com/~rwm/portfolio/info/iso800films/index.html