RE: filmscanners: Jay Maisel Interview with Pictures and Link...

>Is there any exact specification for copyright presentation?
Yes, for legal purposes, I think there is both a proper form for the
copyright notice, if it is used, for the contents of the notice, if it is
used, and for the date that should be used.  The date, I believe, is the
date of registration of the copyright, if it is registered, or the date of
publication, interpreted very broadly to include any public display of the
image.

However, as to the dates used on a copyright notice, the situation does get
a little murky when there are transfers of the copyright from one party to
another which might result in the use of the date of the transfer; but I am
unclear on this.