Re: filmscanners: Jay Maisel Interview with Pictures and Link...

There are several legal issues in terms of dating images for copyright.
  On the one hand, you receive your copyright the moment you press the
shutter button, even prior to processing... which protects you from the
rolls being stolen in the mail to the processor, and the thief claiming
ownership, or the lab doing something similar.

On the other hand, you are supposed to issue a copyright dating on the
first publication of the image.  That could be in a magazine, when you
sell or display a print of the image, or the first time it goes onto a
digital media that is distributed in some manner, including a web site.

Also, should the image later on be manipulated in some manner to be
considered a unique work from the original, the derivative can also be
copyrighted as a new image with a new date.  The line becomes somewhat
blurry here, since it depends somewhat on the amount of manipulation or
change one is speaking of.  For instance, a scratch repair or a color
correction would not be considered a new image, in spite of what
Microsoft attempted to do with their Corbis releases.

Art

Berry Ives wrote:

> If Jay Maisel has not shot film, except for one roll, during the past year,
> how is it that all of the images are copyright 2001, yet most are from film?
>
> I guess the copyright does not correspond to the date the image was shot?
>
> -Berry

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.