Re: filmscanners: analog gain (nikon ls-2000) and negative film

----- Original Message -----
From: "shAf" <michael@shaffer.net>

> Jules writes ...
>
> > there's one thing that's really perplexing to me.
> > why is analog gain adjustement of the nikon
> > ls-2000 not available for negative film (both
> > vuescan and nikonscan seem to ignore it when
> > scanning negative film)?
>
> It has been a long time since I quit using
> NS and switched to VS, but it seems to me you are
> correct regarding NS.

i'm using vuescan exclusively now and i am definitely not seeing any
difference in the preview.  i also tried a fast scan (1 pass) to make sure
it wasn't just some preview bug.

>  However, it seems to be
> "analog gain" was offered only if you used a certain
> feeder.  Leastwize, I remember options being
> different if you used the "film strip feeder" versus
> the "film strip holder" ... and I've forgotten which
> was what.

interesting, but i always use the slide feeder because i have all my print
film mounted in slide mounts (specifically to take advantage of the feeder).

> I'd certainly suggest using the more versatile
> VS

i do.  i only tried NS because it wasn't working with VS.

> (... altho, one reason may
> be because altering the alalog gain may affect the
> subtraction of the orange mask(?) ...)

yeah, i actually have read that somewhere (probably on the nikontech boards)
but it was supposed to have been "fixed" in the 1.31 firmware.

anyway, i'm hope i'm not crazy, but it's really not working for me :)

~j

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.