Re: filmscanners: Puzzled about display resolution

Do you guys want to alienate all amateurs on this list?  ;)

My visitor stats say that 80% of my visitors are using less than or equal
to 1024x768.  This is for a photography site, even if it is by no means
aimed at the high end of town.  Plus:

1. Monitor flicker can be a major problem with high-resolutions
2. Many older cards/monitors simply don't support true or even high color
at high resolutions
3. Some monitor/card combinations just don't work well at some resolutions
4. We are not all made of money, and some of us do this as a hobby. (Try
even 1024x768 on a 14"!!)

Yes, all of these issues are able to be solved with money, but it all adds
up. If I'm alone here as an amateur/hobbyist, just say so, and I'll shut
up! But I thought the list was just about film-scanners, and that having a
professional or even semi-professional setup was not a pre-requisite..

I mean, just take a look at Tony's home page - looks like his monitor isn't
even color!  ;-)

MT

Mark Thomas   markthom@camtech.net.au
http://www.adelaide.net.au/~markthom