RE: filmscanners: dither vs haltoning (was File sizes, fileformats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

And Seurat's technique was know as "pointillism" and the full name of
the painting: "Un Dimanche d'été à l'Île de la Grande Jatte", an
inspiration much later for Stephen Sondheim's Broadway musical,
"Sunday in the Park with George."   The museum is The Art Institute
of Chicago, one of our great art museums - we don't have enough in
the US but this one is pretty wonderful.   I spend as much time there
as I can whenever I need to be Chicago.

My late father's business was professional photo labs serving the
advertising industry and I always thought of Seurat when the labs did
the old-fashioned "veloxing", screening art for the dots required for
newspaper printing when I was a child.

>You're speaking of "La Grande Jatte" by Georges Pierre Seurat. It's in the
>museum of art in Chicago It's been so long ago that I forget the name of
>this famous museum, but it has one of the greatest collections of
>Impressionist art in the world. I may forget the name of the museum, but
>I'll never forget the name of that painting or its artist's name. I used to
>stand in front of La Grande Jatte for hours, in my college days. It is huge,
and a wonder to behold.
--
Sara Jane Boyers
sjzb@earthlink.net