Re: filmscanners: Scan Dual II on Mac platform

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:15:12 -0700  Berry Ives (yvesberia@earthlink.net) wrote:

> Was it clear that I was making a color image?  I tried what you suggested,
> although it made no sense to me, and I ended up with a total gray scale
> image with no color, as one might expect.  Am I not understanding your
> suggestion?

Sorry, I thought you were trying to get an RGB scan of a monochrome image.

> A color lab print exhibited a pure neutral gray in the background area. The
> problem is not the printer since I am seeing the objectionable color on the
> monitor as well.

These sorts of deviation from neutrality (and different colour casts at
different
densities) are very common. Vuescan manages to reduce them on most films far
more
successfully than any other s/w IMO. However unfortunately I don't think Ed has
managed to
reverse-engineer USB as found in the Dual Scan 2. The only way to cope (without
profiling
software) is to edit the R,G &B gamma curves manually, and individually to give
a more
neutral result. This will drive you half crazy, but once you've done it you can
save the
curves (in PS anyhow), and they'll be re-useable for other images on the same
film.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &