Re: filmscanners: Colors in Neutral Gray (was Scan Dual II on Macplatform)

on 2/26/01 5:00 PM, Tony Sleep at TonySleep@halftone.co.uk wrote:

>> A color lab print exhibited a pure neutral gray in the background area. The
>> problem is not the printer since I am seeing the objectionable color on the
>> monitor as well.
>
> These sorts of deviation from neutrality (and different colour casts at
> different
> densities) are very common. Vuescan manages to reduce them on most films far
> more
> successfully than any other s/w IMO. However unfortunately I don't think Ed
> has managed to
> reverse-engineer USB as found in the Dual Scan 2. The only way to cope
> (without profiling
> software) is to edit the R,G &B gamma curves manually, and individually to
> give a more
> neutral result. This will drive you half crazy, but once you've done it you
> can save the
> curves (in PS anyhow), and they'll be re-useable for other images on the same
> film.

Thanks.  I did do the individual RGB adjustments to the best of my
abilities.  It was fun seeing what could be done, but my result was still
imperfect.  Does the darkroom still rule?  Or will I eventually learn to
beat this problem?

-Berry

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.