Re: filmscanners: storage

How long do you want your scans to last? The general reputation is that
good quality CD-Rs will last long enough that current computers will have
removable storage incompatible with CD format, and you'll have to transfer
them to the new media while you can...
CD-RW are supposed to be less reliable, and possibly not last as long as
you'd like. Actually, all the new drives are dual purpose CD-R/RW, so you
can use either medium. Use RW for short term, if you need that, and good
CD-R for stuff you want to count on.

At 11:57 AM 02/12/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I am so enjoying the list, learning as I go.   I am happily scanning away
>on my new Minolta Scan Elite - running through slide scans quickly right
>now as I print out images I'll soon convert and put into a quark mockup
>for a new book project and here's my question....
>
>I knew I wouldn't have enough storage room since I'm scanning at high
>resolution and my files seem pretty big, especially after I work on them
>in photoshop and retain the layers, so.... any suggestions on a good CD-RW
>to hold all the stuff?  And any considerations I should use as I shop?  I
>am on a year-and-one-half year old MAC powerbook G3 (bronze keyboard) with
>USB, one SCSSI being taken up by the two scanners) but no firewire.
>--
>Sara Jane Boyers
>sjzb@earthlink.net
>http://www.teenpowerpolitics.com
>TEEN POWER POLITICS: MAKE YOURSELF HEARD
>          A Millbrook Press/Twenty-First Century Book
>          ISBN: 0-7613-1391-5, paper $9.95/ISBN 0-7613-1307-9 hardcover,
> $24.90
>          Email me if you'd like to be on my newsletter update list!
>LIFE DOESN'T FRIGHTEN ME   Stewart, Tabori & Chang
>          A Publisher's Weekly "Best Book" of the Year, NYPL "Best Books for
>          Teens", ALA "Book for Reluctant Readers", AIGA "50 Best Designed
>         Books"
>O BEAUTIFUL FOR SPACIOUS SKIES  Chronicle Books

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.