Re: filmscanners: Response from Nikon USA on jaggies

I have been away, so late with this input.

It seems I am the only one to receive a "Different" answer.  Not very
useful, but different.  See below.  I have since responded to this but yet
to receive a further reply.

I tend to agree with Rob re a combined input, but I am not really sure we
have the numbers.  It seems many people either don't have the problem, or
don't know they have it, or it is in fact so variable that we are
unsure.  It is very perplexing in its variation, the only thing that I am
sure of is that it IS a problem, and Nikon SHOULD be doing something about
it.  The fact that it can be fixed (Vuescan) says it all.

Julian

PS a) FWIW I have power conditioning too.  b) I think the problem is
getting worse on my machine, or else it is just variable and I noticed it
more on some recent scans.

Dear Mr. Robinson:
I am afraid to mention the obvious but you have downloaded and
installed the latest version of Nikon Scan from www.nikontechusa.com?
The Digital Ice/Clean Image is useful for dealing with scratched or
damaged slides. Is it necessary that you use it all the time for your
scanning? What the software is doing is detecting faults where there
are none and, in trying to fix them, introducing the jaggies. Does the
setting for Clean Image make a difference in the severity of the
jaggies?
To be honest with you, I first became aware of the problem by
reading about it in the late, and much lamented, forum at
www.nikontechusa.com. However, I have not had any inquiries about the
problem for some time.
Finally, if you are scanning black and white film, you should not
use it all.
Please reference this case (number 2136) if you have any further
questions on this issue.
Thank you for contacting Nikon, Inc.
Sincerely

At 15:02 26/01/01, you wrote:
>Bill wrote:
> > Same reply I received. Interestingly, the next day and today there is
> > no evidence of the jaggies that were so obvious when I posted my
> > query. It is not the power since I have everything connected to a UPS
> > with line conditioning.
>
>Try the same picture which gave you the problem before.  I find
>certain images tend to be more problematic than others.
>
>Can we (the members of the filmscanners list) petition them to fix
>the problem?  They seem to be claiming it is a hardware fault and
>it clearly isn't.
>
>Rob

Julian Robinson
in usually sunny, smog free Canberra, Australia

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.