Re: filmscanners: Re: Provia 400F – Actually a pretty fine film! It scans well too.

Colin Maddock wrote:

> Terry Danks said:
>
> >I have put three ProviaF 400 scans, two at ISO400 and one at ISO 800 at
> >http://danks.netfirms.com/eagles400F.htm
>
> To me there is more grain noticeable in the "Eagle in Flight" picture than in
>the previous pushed one. In any case I don't find the grain at all
>objectionable, particularly in the first pic, and effectively we are seeing on
>the monitor a greater than 10x8 blow up anyway, particularly as that is only
>part of the frame. Did you increase the saturation, by the way, in PS?   Great
>photos.

I found little difference between the ISO 400 and 800 shots. In fact, now that
they are mixed up, I can't tell at all.
Yes, I upped the saturation a bit in PS but only for the first one on the page.
I still do not see the film's deficiency as one of grain. I think it rather
remarkable that the grain is so unobtrusive in an 800 X 600 jpg from
approximately 50% of a 24X36 mm film frame. . . .for an E6 emulsion shot at ISO
800 that is.
Still, of course, I find 100F pushed a stop far preferable. Also this stuff is
far too expensive at the moment. At $10 US per roll, it it still cheaper to buy
100F and push. However the price should drop soon as the film becomes more
available. Also, its real value may be for applications requiring pushing into
the stratosphere . . . ISO 1600 applications as in indoor sports and the like.

--
Terence A. Danks
Nova Scotia, Canada

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.