[filmscanners] Sprintscan 4000 does not initialize anymore

It feels really nostalgic coming back to the list after 8 years or so. I am
glad it is still there! (Thanks Tony!)

Last week I wanted to test if the old PCI application still works with XP
SP3 (my old vuescan version certainly did not like SP3, and Ed has changed
the licencing scheme and upgrades are not for free anymore, either!).

When I turned on the SS4000, I expected the usual noises. While both the
green and yellow light were on constantly (the yellow did not even START
blinking), absolutely no noise emerged, I don't think the scanner even
attempted to position anything. There was no film or slide holder in the
scanner, the lights were on inside, it did not look as if there was dust
dancing in the light. The scanner had been sitting under a dust cover
wrapped around it (a plastic garbage bag). The SCSI card works perfectly
(with another SCSI scanner plugged into the same outside plug at the back
of the computer).

Turning the scanner off and on sometimes leads to the yellow light blinking
twice, then remaining steadily on again. No positioning is done - the
'movement noise' is completely missing! I even attempted to boot the
computer, as expected, it did not recognize the scanner (and PCI and
vuescan both told me so, it did not show up in device manager).

To my big surprise it turned out hat I had last scanned slides in October
2005 (it felt like yesterday), and I still have about 20GB of slides to
'dust' from that batch. So something must have happened to the scanner in
the last 4 years :-(

Has anyone seen this, too, and found a way to fix it? There isn't any
Polaroid support in Germany anymore as far as I can see, I don't have the
dust brush (which was used when the scanner did not STOP blinking, anyway),
I am reluctant to do anything to the 'innards' of the scanner just yet, and
I hope for a miracle. :-)

Best regards, Barbara

Deutsche Börse Systems AG
Chairman of the Supervisory Board/
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Reto Francioni
Executive Board/Vorstand:
Michael Kuhn (Chief Executive Officer/Vorsitzender),
Yves Baguet (Deputy Chief Executive Officer/
stellv. Vorsitzender), Gerhard Leßmann.
Aktiengesellschaft with registered seat in/mit Sitz in
Frankfurt am Main.
Commercial register/Handelsregister:
Local court/Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRB 42413.

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen.
Wenn Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfaenger sind, informieren Sie bitte
sofort den Absender und loeschen Sie diese E-Mail. Das unbefugte Kopieren
dieser E-Mail oder die unbefugte Weitergabe der enthaltenen Informationen
ist nicht gestattet.

The information contained in this message is confidential or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and
unauthorised distribution of the information contained herein is prohibited.

Legally required information for business correspondence/
Gesetzliche Pflichtangaben fuer Geschaeftskorrespondenz:
http://deutsche-boerse.com/letterhead