[filmscanners] Re: Epson Perfection V750-M Pro Scanner,

Silverfast provides a 64-bit installer for the V500 (and presumably related
Epson
scanners). It's WIA and it installs both a standalone client and a plug-in for
Photoshop.
Silverfast also provides an optional TWAIN version but there's no reason to
install it
that I can see.

In the flier packaged with the scanner, Epson tells you not to install from the
CD. They
point you to their website so you can install the latest 64-bit driver for it.
That
appears to be a WIA driver. Epson's OEM software is like most OEM software;
it's mediocre
and very basic. You need either Vuescan or Silverfast. I use Silverfast Studio
Ai version 6.6.

Additional comment below.

On 14-Jun-09 12:41, LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:
> I would check again on the 64-bit twain driver.  Epson may have developed a
> proprietary driver for the scanner but I sort of doubt it was a twain driver
> since there were never any official standards set for the 64 bit twain
> driver by the twain working group consortium even though they talked about
> doing so and there was never any implementation of an official 64-bit twain
> driver although there may have been implementations of 64 bit drivers for
> scanners by third parties (e.g. Ed Hamrick) manufacturers as proprietary
> items.  It is quite possible that what you got was a 64 bit WIA interface
> driver which allows the scanner to work with 64 bit Windows Vista machines
> and maybe XP.

> LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:
>> Yes; but you are talking about a relatively new USB based scanner and
> Vista

There's no "yes but." I explicitly stated that I installed a USB scanner so my
comments
applied only to that.

>> X64.  It is quite possible that this newer model scanner uses either third
>> party drivers developed by people like Ed Hemrick or has Epson developed
> WMA
>> drivers which are designed for Vista X32 and X64 bit versions.  Being USB
>> based and not SCSI based peripherals, you probably did not need to use an
>> ASPI layer to get the OSD to recognize the hardware device as was the case
>> with SCSI based scanners of old.

Do any prosumer manufacturers even make SCSI scanners anymore?

 > There is a difference between drivers
>> which enable software applications to work a peripheral device and such
>> things as software code such as ASPI layers which enable the OS to
> recognize
>> the existence of the physical device; the two are not the same.

I know that. I didn't say they were the same. You might be responding to
someone else's
post there.

--
Cary Enoch Reinstein, Enoch's Vision Inc.  http://www.enochsvision.com