From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of
caryenochr@enochsvision.com
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:03 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Epson Perfection V750-M Pro Scanner,

I didn't have to do anything to get my new Epson V500 scanner to work in
Vista-x64. I used
the installation CD and then immediately installed the 64-bit updates that I
downloaded
from the Epson support pages. Then I turned the scanner on. Windows made the
low beep that
it does when it recognizes any USB device and that was it. The scanner works
perfectly in
Vuescan Prof. It was recognized immediately.

Environment: Vista Ultimate-x64/SP2, 8 GB RAM.

I went ahead and bought Silverfast Ai Studio for it for a variety of reasons
mostly
related to the difficult faded originals. They're very old filmstrips of
great historical
value that I'm restoring. Silverfast isn't as easy to use as Vuescan but I
felt the more
finely tuned results justified the high price. Btw, Silverfast had no
problems recognizing
the scanner either. That's because Lasersoft customizes each version for a
specific
scanner. Vuescan should drive virtually any scanner right out of the box.
It's amazing.

I made sample scans on a friend's V750 and could not discern any difference
in quality
between those scans and the ones on the V500 -- and I am very picky. The
optics are
probably better on the V750 though. Don't bother with the Epson OEM
software. Either
Vuescan or Silverfast are greatly superior. Your choice.

--
Cary Enoch Reinstein, Enoch's Vision Inc.  http://www.enochsvision.com
Blog: http://www.enochsvision.net  -  "Behind all these manifestations is

or body