From: "Carlisle Lan
del" <clandel@roadrunner.com>

Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15
:03:59
To: <lists@lazygranch.com>
Subject: [filmscanne
rs] Re: RAW?

Hi Preston,

At this point, my expertis
e in color correction is essentially nil.
I figured I'd
get busy acquiring  that next, but it seems easiest to
ust start scanning.

You make a *great* point that I ou
ght to upgrade for the updates
alone.  Maybe (in fact, i
t is quite likely) I'll do the upgrade
regardless of my
output format, but the original question still
stands.
However, maybe I need to restate the question in light of

your comments.

So here goes:  What format gives me t
he *most* flexibility for post-
scanning correction/proc
essing/etc.?  And corollary to this:  Is
there a *downsi
de* (other than sheer file size) to such a format?

Tha
nks,

Carlisle

On Mar 2, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Preston
 Earle wrote:

> "Carlisle Landel" asked "Upgrade and s
can RAW, or just go with TIFF?"
> ----------------------
---

> What is your level of color-correction expertis
e? As I understand your
> plans, you want to bulk-scan a
 bunch of slides unattended. Without
> making
> individ
ual adjustments to the software for each scan, you will h
ave
> a lot of
> color correction to do on each image.
(Even with making individual
> adjustments for each scan
, you will have to make a fair number of
> adjustments t
o get really good final images. If you are very
> compet
ent in
> Photoshop color correction, it may help to star
t with RAW files
> ( though I
> doubt it), otherwise, s
tarting with tiffs (or jpegs) will be just
> as good.
>

> I'd suggest you pick out a dozen representative slide
s and take
> them through
> the complete scanning/corre
cting process to get a good idea of what
> you will
e doing before starting to scan the bulk of the slides. Y
ou may
> want to
> make some changes in your workflow b
efore you get ALL the slides
> scanned.
>
> I'm not fa
miliar with VueScan's RAW format, but in general RAW
rocessors
> give some additional options in color-correc
tion, but 95% of the
> necessary
> work can be done in
Photoshop alone.

> A greater reason to get the Pro ve
rsion is to get a lifetime of
> updates.
> It's pretty
good insurance or $40. I don't know how often Ed
> updat
es the
> program these days, but several years ago he wo
uld put out updates
> every
> week or so.
>

> Pres