From: Tony Sleep
ender: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
To: lists@lazygr
anch.com
ReplyTo: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: [f
ilmscanners] Re: Advice on scanner settings
Sent: Feb 26,
 2009 8:18 AM

On 26/02/2009 gary wrote:
> I'd like to po
int out that I never had a Seagate product fail. Of
> cou
rse, that could be luck.

Of course it is :)

I have 17 H
DD in active use at present, 11 of which are Samsung. I'd
 heard
they had the lowest RMA rate in the industry and w
as bored with replacing
cooked-off Maxtors, WD's, Seagate
s, Toshiba and IBM/Hitachi.

Samsung was the only brand I
'd not had fail prematurely, except I had 1
recent 1TB SA
TA DOA and then 1 300GB IDE warranty replaced after almos
t no
use.

I think they're all much the same, except Maxt
or, which I won't buy
anymore even if Seagate do own them
 now, they have definite heat/quality
issues. Oh, and I'v
e never really forgiven IBM/Hitachi for the Deathstar
fir
mware disaster, to which I lost 4 disks.

> http://www.ca
rbonite.com/
Great idea for office stuff, these services,
 but over DSL a multi-GB
photosession is going to take da
ys to backup, and I have no idea how many
years it would
take to restore the accumulated ~900GB archive.

--
Regar
ds

Tony Sleep