[filmscanners] RE: Advice on scanner settings

>I'd like to point out that I never had a Seagate product fail. Of
>course, that could be luck. They come with 5 year warranties.

I have had a couple of them go bad; but I have had a number of brands go
bad.  Hard drives after all are mechanical devices; and their internal parts
do wear out, do get damaged, and do get overheated. Some brands go bad
sooner than others even if they have extended long warrantees.  When they do
it is a pain to send them back for warrantee service and to lose the data on
them.

>The offsite service is handy in the event of fire or theft.

Yes, except if they go out of business or have security issues, which are
distinct possibilities in this day and age.  Like so many others, I have
found that many services offer good rates and terms, good service and
security, and the like when they are new and trying to establish themselves
and a client base.  However after the introductory offer or period, things
change with pricing going up, terms changing, service and security
declining, etc.  By then, you can terminate your service or move to a
different online storage operation if things change to your disliking; but
they count on the inconvenience factor and inertia to keep you even if
things change for the worst.  Most people overstay their welcome due to the
inconvenience of moving their data from those storage facilities to new ones
or purchasing additional drives to store the data on at home or at an
external location like a bank vault.