[filmscanners] Re: color bit depth and digital cameras

I can't comment on the bit depth of cameras, but scanners need more bits
when processing negative film since negative film has it's dynamic range
compressed. Eight bits was passable for slide film, well, properly
exposed slide film.

Film like Astia is slightly compressed, i.e. it doesn't have the full
dynamic range after chemical processing. It probably doesn't project
well, but it sure scans well.