[filmscanners] color bit depth and digital cameras

I was just playing with my new Nikon D200 and discovered
something that surprised me.  Unless there is some quality
adjustment setting I missed, it's color bit depth apparently is
only 8 bits in NEF Raw.  By comparison, my Polaroid SprintScan
4000 scanner has a color bit depth of 12 bits, and other scanners
have much higher color bit depths than this.  While color bit
depth is a commonly cited specification for scanners, I've seldom
seen it cited for digital cameras.  Does the lower bit depth for
the D200 imply lower quality color rendition than my 12 bit scanner?
Dr. Paul Patton
Life Sciences Building Rm 538A
work: (419)-372-3858
home: (419)-352-5523
Biology Department
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is
the mysterious.  It is the source of all true art
and science."
-Albert Einstein