[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

You are correct about the "sweat spot" of a lens.  This is where the
image field is reasonable flat and distortion is minimal.  A few years
ago my company, along with a well respected research lab, conducted
tests on many commercially available lenses.  The research lab was
focused on lens systems for video cameras, as was my company, in the
beginning of the study, but we expanded to testing lenses for 16mm mopic
and 35mm still camera lenses that covered a very broad spectrum of
brands.  Our tests were to measure the on axis longitudinal chromatic
distortion over most of the visible spectrum - wavelengths ranging from
480 angstroms (blue) to 620 angstroms (red).  Using collimated light,
and with the lens collimated to 540 angstroms (D line), we found that
most of the lenses we tested had a displacement of .005" to .007"
between the focus point of blue and the focus point of red.  The blue
focus point was short of the D line focus point and the red focus point
was well beyond the D line focus point.  In film tests, these lenses
rendered fairly poor resolution at full aperture (about 20 lp/mm) but
improved, to a point, as the lens was stopped down. At some point,
diffraction limit overtakes the chromatic aberrations and the resolution
begins to decline.  This is why there is also a sweat spot on the
aperture scale - that aperture where resolution peaks and before
diffraction limit takes over.

To use a lens with .006" to .007" chromatic displacement on todays
digital cameras with their smaller apertures would not produce tack
sharp images.  They weren't that sharp on any camera at full aperture.
Lens systems designed for today's digital cameras seem to produce very
sharp images.  Admittedly, the lenses I have are not fast lenses (f:4
that ramp up to f:5.6 and max focal length).

By the way, the best lenses that we tested measured a span of .002" to
.004" between blue and red.  They included Angenieux, Kern, Leitz, and
Zeiss.  Although I haven't tested any of the digital camera lenses, I
would expect that they are closer to these tolerances.

Jim