[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

I have been trying to follow this thread, with some difficulty -
probably my old age.  But to keep perspective and depth of field equal,
when comparing Full Frame with smaller formats, lens focal length,
circle of confusion, or blur circle, size must be adjusted
proportionately. Control of chromatic aberrations become
proportionately more restrictive.  Then there's Lord Rayleigh's Criteria
regarding Diffraction Limit is just as true today as it was when he
published it.  Therefore, with today's APO lenses, we can achieve very
high quality images, with smaller formats.  BUT, to achieve sharp
images, the minimum acceptable lens aperture size will increase (f:#
will decrease) because of diffraction.  Having said this, I'm very
pleased with my Canon 20D, The two lenses I have are incredibly sharp,
and zoom lenses at that (I did think that no zoom lens could equal a
prime lens but that may be changing) but I try to stay within its
limitations - shoot at the lowest ISO that I can get away with and
control exposure time to stay within a range of f:4 to f:11.

Jim