[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

On Jul 5, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Laurie wrote:

> While Digital SLRs might "know" or identify the lens focal length,
> aperture
> setting, focus, etc., It cannot identify the glass that is used in
> any given
> lens or the optical properties specific to that particular lens.
> Since most
> DSLRs allow for interchangeable lenses and lenses made by varying
> manufacturers, it is probably not reasonable to expect the camera
> to be able
> to compensate except in a generalized way for light fall off
> produced by any
> particular lens.

Actually, the Olympus stuff does know what lens is on the camera and
can be set to compensate. I used to have an E-1. I don't know how
"smart" the lenses are, but I know that sometimes I'd get
notifications from the Olympus studio software that one of my lenses
had a new firmware update available, so apparently the lenses had
more than just an ID residing in their circuitry. I personally never
used the "Shading Compensation" because the E-1 was slow enough
already. When DP Review tested the E-1 they got these write timing
numbers:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/page10.asp

2560 x 1920 SHQ  with no filter 2.0 sec
2560 x 1920 SHQ  Lens Shading compensation 18.9 sec

Nearly ten times slower write speeds using lens shading compensation
was enough to scare me away from it for keeps. Interesting idea, though.

-Rob