[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

I'll say again something I have stated many times in the past.  Humans
are analogue, not digital.  We work on a cellular level and most of our
cells aren't lined up in perfect grids, far from it.  We, both
evolutionarily and through learning, ignore random patterns in our
vision (and other senses), as random noise, because we are ourselves
have a very noisy perceptual system.  We see, hear, taste and "feel" all
sorts of "stuff" which is just random nerve triggering, not to mention
all our noisy functional systems (circulation, our
neuro-chemical/electrical system, etc.).  We learn to filter this out.

Film grain itself is not actual information. it is the random structure
used to create the image on it's smallest level.  Grain occurs in three
random manners.  Firstly, each color layer is laid down with the silver
halide grains in a completely chaotic manner.  Secondly, the grain size
is randomized, and thirdly, the relationship between those factors
between the layers is randomized, as well.  This creates a "forgiving"
structure.  There will be a certain luck of the draw that the image
reproduction will sometimes follow certain grain placement closely,
while other areas may be very non-optimized.  However, due to the
jumbled manner of grain, its size relative to our perception, and our
perceptual filters, we excuse much of this.

Again, because they are so foreign to most of nature, grids and
non-random placements and patterns stand out to our vision.  The grid
used in a digital camera sensor is one example.  Each sensor point is of
the exact same size, and perfectly located in a matrix.  All three
colors use the same exact grid format.

Due to the use of the Bayer matrix, the color interpolation required,
and a number of other factors,  digital images are intentionally blurred
via electronic filtering.  This is why judicious use of unsharp masking
can bring so much detail back to an image.

Actual physical size of the sensor is not relevant to resolution,
however, how many discrete points of information is.  So, it is the
number of pixels within the frame that determines resolution, not size.
(Of course, the larger the sensor the larger each sensor point and
therefore the lower the noise, but that's another issue).

The reason the debate regarding image resolution - film versus digital -
continues, is because instrumentation can't really answer it. Yes,
numbers of line pairs can be read, etc. but that isn't how we perceive.
Our eyes prefer random analogue and in spite of the defects in this
method, we have built in filters to deal with that because nature is
designed around random noise.

Digital sound, images, or whatever are... digital.  The "edges" are
distinct, and placed without random elements.  We notice these things.
No matter how "pure" digital might end up (CD music versus vinyl) we
expect and desire the random elements of noise and variability, and we
perceive these as extra "resolution", "warmth", "more natural" etc.
It's really just random noise, but "we like it".  Those are the types of
errors we can live with.

So, this debate cannot be answered by machines.  It can only be answered
by human consensus.  At some point, the digital image components will be
beyond any human's ability to perceive as discrete components, (other
than with massive enlargement) and then the issue will be moot, and for
some it is so close to that now, that is already is moot, considering
the many other features digital images and music supply.

I will once again also mention that the environmental damage done by
silver halide photography is great enough that even if digital is not
perfectly equivalent, the options are close enough that each of us
should seriously consider our ecological footprint when making a
decision about digital versus silver based.  It is not that digital is
without a footprint, but in the "big picture" it is likely much smaller,
and studies to date seem to suggest that.

Art