[filmscanners] Re: Initialization problem with Polaroid SprintScan 4000

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Initialization problem with Polaroid SprintScan 4000
  • From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:42:48 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 17:42:49 +0100
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed;d=gmail.com; s=beta;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;b=sL+3DktKLQzBk9MPO2to+4B6CH5KUs4mjFGw/S68J8Yb/CM9RxsVeizE13Majr2b3CYEsnIeDZSRTpDv3rpJYd1S12RmCewwH9NDQVvml2Xd8nWsrFPPpJRxFvX0CPAlQ4BaLWMPRQtGlt99A7qrWJ7BqYPF3gG/iiJx7vbsmzw=

On 6/7/07, ppatton@bgnet.bgsu.edu <ppatton@bgnet.bgsu.edu> wrote:
> I have been having a problem with my Polaroid SprintScan 4000
> scanner.  Polaroid technical support hasn't been very helpful, so
> I'm wondering if someone out there might have experienced this
> problem and know something about the cause/solution.  When I turn
> my scanner on, the green and yellow LED lights on the scanner
> come on and remain on solidly.  Normally, during start-up the
> yellow LED blinks, which according to Polaroid documentation,
> means the scanner is initializing.  When I boot up my computer
> and open Polacolor Insight, it can't detect the scanner if the
> yellow light hasn't blinked.  I have intermittently had this
> problem before, but am now having it consistently.
> When the scanner is operating normally, the yellow light doesn't
> blink if the scanner is turned on after the computer has already
> been booted.  So, I'm wondering whether there might be some
> problem involving communication between my computer and the
> scanner, possibly involving my SCSI card. If I have to send it to
> Polaroid for repairs, they will charge $400 to $660 to repair it,
> almost as much as I paid for it in the first place.

Check Device Manager to see if the scanner is recognized.  Otherwise
"scan for hardware changes" so that the computer can pick it up.  This
is all assuming you're on a PC.

I'm a little concerned that when you turn it on, the amber light is
solid and doesn't blink.  That suggests it isn't initializing
properly.

If the problem is related to dust, usually the amber light just blinks
forever and never completes initializing.  But who knows?  If you have
the tool that Polaroid was giving away in the early days of this model
to clean dust, give that a try.

Joel W.