[filmscanners] Re: Initialization problem with Polaroid SprintScan 4000

On 07/06/2007 ppatton@bgnet.bgsu.edu wrote:
> I have been having a problem with my Polaroid SprintScan 4000
> scanner.  Polaroid technical support hasn't been very helpful, so
> I'm wondering if someone out there might have experienced this
> problem and know something about the cause/solution.  When I turn
> my scanner on, the green and yellow LED lights on the scanner
> come on and remain on solidly.  Normally, during start-up the
> yellow LED blinks, which according to Polaroid documentation,
> means the scanner is initializing.

Obvious things first: the bulb is working (visible through front slot)?
And you are not trying to power up with a filmholder installed? (the 4000
cannot initialise with a filmstrip holder inserted - have to do that
first, then insert).

Otherwise dust, perhaps. During initialisation the scanner winds the
transport to a WB calibration position and then parks it ready for the
filmstrip holder to be inserted. I believe there's a photocell which is
part of this cycle which is prone to dust problems. I'd pop the lid off
and see if there's anything that can be cleaned with a soft brush or
air-duster (but be very careful with keeping the aerosol upright, as a jet
of propellant will leave a hard to remove residue). It may be a good idea
to check lubrication on the transport threads too.

Mine still works. I'm amazed :)

--
Regards

Tony Sleep