[filmscanners] Re: vuescan and the minolta 5400II

Slide film can be tricky to scan. I'm not sure I'd like to let it fly on
auto, which I assume is the only reason for having a slide feeder.

I haven't been following Nikon scanners, but in the past, they have had
depth of field issues, i.e. difficulty with curved film.

You have a different goal than I do, i.e. you want to scan old images,
which I assume are mounted slides. Since I got the 5400 II, I don't
mount my slides. This is a modest saving (though it adds up). Slide
mounting is where the lab can scratch the film. I had enough scratches
that I mounted my own slides in Gepe. [The Microtek film strip holder
was a piece of crap. You really needed to mount slides with that
scanner.] Now a Gepe mount does a good job flattening the film. However,
most labs use Pakon mounts. You may find you scanned quality to be less
than optimal if you combine a Pakon mount and the Nikon. I noticed a
lack of sharpness at the corners with my Microtek 4000t at times due to
curvature of the film in Pakon mounts.