[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan V ED

Somewhat along the same lines, it may be worthwhile to slightly warm up
your scanner either by bringing it into a warmer part of your home, or
even using a space heater to bring it up to perhaps 80 degrees F or so.
  If it has been sitting a long time and is in a part of your home which
is cool or even cold this time of year, the lubricant might have not
only stiffened up from evaporation, but also from being chilled.

Warming it may just reduce the viscosity enough to get things moving.
Don't overheat it, as this may cause other problems, but I'd think
80-even 90 degrees F is safe since ambient room temperatures can easily
get that warm during the summer season.

Art