[filmscanners] Re: HP PhotsSmart - questions (on topic)

At 12:12 PM 8/08/2005 -0400, you wrote:
BIG snip..

>I'm a scanning beginner, but have a good size box of negs and slides.
>Would it make sense to buy a used, but better scanner?  If so which
>model?
>
>I know it's a dumb question, but going to e-bay with a shotgun method
>is not very productive either.
>
>Do not want to spend > $500.  My pictures will never get printed
>anywhere :-)
>

>Rich Koziol

If this is all you want to do, have a good look at the current Epson Photo
flatbed line.

I have the 4990 Photo (replaced an old GT8500 and a Polaroid 4000 with it
-- can't believe how useful it is.)

35mm scans aren't up to the Polaroid, but not so far behind that I'm
disappointed with the results -- if I'd never had the film scanner (now
sold) I'd have thought them wonderful.

Large format scans from it are, to my elderly eye, excellent.

Charles