[filmscanners] Re: HP PhotsSmart - questions

Denatured alcohol often has gunk in it to prevent your skin from drying.
Wintergreen oil is common. They also denature it with wood alcohol,
which I don't think is a problem for glass (though quite toxic for humans).

The electronics grade alcohol I use is PureTronics Techincal Grade
isopropyl. The claim is it is 99.9 percent pure. $7 for 32 oz.
http://www.puretronics.com
It's not on their website. Stock number 3125.

I sppose if you have access to it, "reagent grade" isopropal would be
the best. What you want to avoid is the 70% pure junk.

For the car windows, I use the cheaper stuff. You should be able to find
99% pure alcohol [anhydrous] About $1 for 16oz. Brite-Life is a common
brand.

The use of cotton balls is mostly from the cleaning instructions of
filters. I'm not sure why they prefer cotton balls to lens cleaning
tissue. However, when on the road, you can get cotton balls and the
nearly pure 99% alcohol at any drug store, rather than having to track
down a photo store.
http://www.lumicon.com/faq-c.htm
I find the cushioning of cotton balls tends to be gentler on the glass.

While we are at it, some say canned air can damage glass. I do know that
if you don't hold the can perfectly level, refrigerant comes out. There
is also talk of thermal shock. I use a scuba tank for my canned air, so
I don't know if current genneration canned air products have this
problem. I have a Leland CO2 duster as well, but don't use it much as it
surely puts out cold air.