[filmscanners] Re: HP PhotsSmart - questions

I had (still have one in a box somewhere upstairs) and
the calibration card was not a sheet of paper but
looked like a 5x7 glossy paper that one half white and
half black.  You insert the white part first and then
the calibration occurs as it scans the black part. As
to cleaning the sensor, IIRC, there is a mirror prism
that gets dust on it.  The original Photosmart came
with one of those air bulbs that you squeeze and you
just have to blow the dust off. I wouldn't try more
agressive methods until I tried this first. As to why
the 150 dpi is sharper, don't know but I suspect it
might be due to improper calibration.

Warren

--- Rich Koziol <rkoziol3@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2005 at 12:06, Laurie Solomon wrote:
>
> > As for the question of " why 150 dpi appears
> sharper than 300 dpi when
> > scanning a 3 x 5 color print," you did not tell us
> if the result you
> > speak of was on the monitor or on a hard copy
> print
>
> At this point I'm just looking at the results on a
> 19inch monitor.
> Used the HP software to scan with.
>
> I also had this negative roll scanned at Target, for
> comparison.
> Target offers 1200dpi scans for about $4/roll.  They
> just started
> this service and are still somewhat sloppy with film
> handling.
>
> Rich

> appropriate) in the message title or body

Warren Xato

For where to go when you know when
-PhotoDates-and-Places@yahoogroups.com